Need to Report a Change in Transportation
Please do not change your child's method of transportation unless absolutely necessary. If you need to arrange a permanent change or a change that will last for more than 1 day please contact the FSES Office.
When reporting a Change in Transportation please use the form linked below. Please submit this form before 1:00 p.m. on the day of the transportation change.
Kiss and Ride
Morning: 9:00 a.m. - 9:15 a.m.
Afternoon: 4:05 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.
- Drop off and pick up your child only in the Kiss and Ride traffic pattern.
- Pull your car forward as far as possible in the line.
- Make sure that your child exits/enters your car on the building side.
- If your child needs assistance carrying something inside or getting something out of the car please park and walk your child into the building.
Recognizing the health benefits, FCPS encourages parents to consider having their children walk and/or ride a bicycle to and from school using existing infrastructure. This parental decision is not subject to review by the principal. The unique procedures for kindergarten students are addressed in the current version of Regulation 8617, Student Transportation – Eligibility, Routes, and Schedules.
Walking students must use designated paths, sidewalks, or the crosswalk where safety patrols are stationed.
Bicyclists should follow these guidelines:
- Obey safety patrols, and automobile traffic rules, including signaling for turns and stopping at intersections.
- Bikes can be locked to the bike rack.
- Bicycle helmets are mandatory to ride to school!
FCPS provides bus transportation for students who reside more than a mile from the school. Bus riders should follow these guidelines:
- Refrain from crossing or playing on private property.
- Cooperate with the safety patrols and obey the bus drivers.
- Arrive at the bus stop five to ten minutes before the scheduled pick-up time.
- Remain seated and talk quietly after boarding the bus.
Procedures for safe transportation are discussed with all students at the beginning of the school year. It is also important that parents review with their children the information included on the form provided to all students who use school transportation. Parents’ reinforcement of the rules for safe loading and unloading of buses and of standards for behavior on buses and at bus stops is essential and will promote safety. Student failure to exhibit acceptable standards of conduct while riding a school bus can result in a suspension of bus transportation.
Kindergarten Parents: For your child’s safety, a parent, daycare provider, designated adult, or a sibling in 7th grade or higher is required to meet your child at the bus stop/bus door. If such person is not at the bus stop/bus door, the child will be returned to school.
Bus Delay Notification System
This system provides parents with timely notification of late bus route information. Parents may access the system at the link below or use the FCPS Mobile App to receive the delayed bus report. Morning route information will be available until noon. The afternoon route information will be available from 1-5 p.m.
Need assistance or have questions? Contact the Lavon Carter at LLCarter1@fcps.edu or at 703-249-7100 (in the FCPS transporation office for our school). For any concerns after hours, contact Safety and Security at 571-423-2000.
Parking and Picking Up Children
Virginia state law forbids the passing of a school bus that is loading or unloading children. We do not allow parking in the bus loop during arrival and dismissal. Please use the crosswalk when bringing your child into the school or picking them up and refrain from crossing between the parked buses as children are loading.